Sunday, November 23, 2008

Wit


There are two reasons I decided to study nursing: first, I want to be able to help when there is an emergency or a disaster. second, ever since I was a little girl, I aimed to please, or more importantly to inspire and uplift.

This semester in nursing school we were given an opportunity to choose from a list of films to count as service hours. From this list, I looked forward to viewing the movie Wit, starring Emma Thompson.

The main character, a scholarly professor is diagnosed with stage four ovarian cancer. She is given eight sessions of chemotherapy at “full” dose, which eventually does more harm to her than the cancer.

Besides gut renching vomit, pain, hairloss, myelosuppression (suppression of the production of blood cells and platelets causing extremely high risk for infection), and isolation; chemotherapy (not the cancer) destroys epithelial cells in the esopagus causing painful sores. In which point, we become fragile mortals who delight in the simple cold taste of a frozen popsicle and ice chips. All that is left at this stage or all that is required is kindness and compassion by healthcare providers.

A patient with cancer must feel like they are completely isolated at the end stage of their illness. Some health care providers although skilled, fall short in administering kindness and compassion when treating these patients.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen a patient's health improve just because they were shown compassion or because someone took the time to give them "the best bath they have ever had". (Thank you brother Cannon for sharing your experiences). It is the small things that matter in life. It's not necessarily the things you know, but more importantly the things you do. A simple smile or touch can change the world for someone who is ill or simply having a bad day. Next time I arrive to work feeling grumpy because I'm tired and don't want to be there, I will remember that this is my time to "Inspire and uplift."

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Angie, that is a wonderful post! I'm sure that you will be an extremely compasionate and wonderful healthcare provider. The world needs more people like you!

Scott Smith said...

Hey Angie, long time no talk or hear. Tell Chris I said hi. I'm excited to hear that you are in nursing school. I've been telling my wife I'd like her to get into something like that when she's ready to go to school. So far we're waiting to get through the kids before. We'll see though.

Keep in touch.

Amy said...

You know you are the best little nursey ever. I can't wait for you to be done with school. Are you feeling any better?

bradget said...

I didn't forget! That's why I said "owned" because technically we didn't own your tree. Although, we did burn out half the lights. Sorry again!!!