Thursday, November 5, 2009

Who Invented the Sizes for Infant Clothing?

Seriously, who's in charge of sizing infant clothing?Is there some mass conspiracy to make parents feel as though their babies are much bigger than they actually are? I can argue about the same thing with womens clothing, but that is a whole other discussion.

I remember trying to figure out how old Avery will be at Christmas so I could buy infant clothing on sale when I was pregnant. It was only after she was born and nothing fit did I realize that the tags listed weight limits on the sizes. So I quickly learned that a “newborn” size was for under eight pounds, whereas a 0-3 month size was for children eight to fourteen pounds. We left the hospital thinking we had a lot of clothes for her to wear. But because she was so small (in comparison to her cousins), she didn't fit into the 0-3 month clothing that we got a ton of. We had to make a run to wall-mart to get newborn sizes (kind of hard to find sometimes btw).

On the other end of the spectrum, William, Avery's cousin, was born at a whopping 9 lb 9oz. The not-so-little man has never been able to fit newborn-sized clothing. I wanted to buy him cute outfits but couldn't figure out what size to get so I bought him socks that were folded like cupcakes. Scott was bumbed that they weren't real cupcakes, sorry buddy.

The problem with sizing does not just stop with newborn sizes. I don’t understand the sizing behind the 0-3 month infant clothing either. Who are these tiny three month olds? My princess just turned three months old this week, and she has been wearing three-month size clothing for almost a month now. In fact, I bought her a new 3 month size outfit a few weeks ago and it is already too small. She’s just too tall for these. I'm going to buy those extenters so she can wear her clothes longer. Who ever invented the extenders is a genious! I thought my baby was a small child; she measured in the 50th percentile at her two month well-baby checkup. So unless my she shot up to the 75th percentile in the last month or so, it seems that any clothing sized for “average” babies should fit her. They really make it hard for us women trying to buy clothes for ourselves and now our children. The men have it right; their clothes are sized according to their actualy measurements. All of this leads me to wonder, who sets these sizes for infant clothing and what criteria are they using??

5 comments:

Brooke said...

I totally agree. Dre is so tall that he is already wearing 6 to 9 month clothes, plus he is getting a little chunky:) It's just sad that he can only wear the outfit like twice before he has already grown out of it. I can't believe they are 3 months already. Time flies...

Em said...

Each and every piece of infant clothing is different. Collin is too small for some some sizes whereas other sizes run big. You just never know. I eyeball it now. I do not really buy clothing ahead of time because I have been left with clothing Collin never wore. Really obnoxious!

Rachel Lovato said...

I agree with you girl! For my first baby I had sooo many clothes that were too big or too small too fast or the wrong season! It made me so sad for her to not get to wear all the cute clothes she had! For my next one, I was MUCH better..I bought as I went! This "growing" still happens every year, every season! I have to buy them a whole new wardrobe every season! Wish I got a whole new wardrobe EVERY season!

Tayna said...

Completely agree!! Keagan stayed in the 9-12 month clothes for a long time but that was because he was in the 3% for hight and off the bottom of the chart for weight, he was a little dude. Other than that we outgrow way too fast and yes I packed away clothes that still had tags on them...tis sad. :)

Infant clothing said...

That is something that i want to learn about Infant clothing i completely agreed with the ideas that you have describe with this post..